Goal Setting Quotes – 101 Powerful Quotes to Inspire You
Do you want the motherload of inspiration? Do you want to feel that burning passion that stirs your spirit and makes you want to take action?
I’ve compiled an insanely long list of a 101+ goal setting quotes for you. You may recognize some of the authorities mentioned here – famous people who shared wisdom that had a great impact on the life of others.
The fact is, we’ve all heard wisdom or quotes that touched us deeply at one point in our life. These quotes have made a greater impact on us than others, because they were right for our minds and hearts at that time. Small quotes containing wisdom to guide us and light our way in life…
I recommend coming back to this list every now and then. There’s more goal setting inspiration here than is needed to fry your precious brain circuits in one sitting, lol.
Are you ready? 😉
- “Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy”. – Dale Carnegie. Action brings a sense of certainty and progress. It sheds light into darkness, by vanquishing fear and lethargy and moving us forward to happiness.
- “The most important thing you can do to achieve your goals is to make sure that as soon as you set them, you immediately begin to create momentum.” – Tony Robbins. This is crucial and a reason so many people fail before they even begin. They don’t harness the power of momentum! It’s so easy to break a goal down and do something immediately to get the ball rolling.
- “If you are working on something exciting that you really care about, you don’t have to be pushed. The vision pulls you” – Steve Jobs. What a fantastic quote! Have something you burn for and you won’t have to use will power to get yourself going. The power of your vision will pull YOU!
- “Fortune favors the bold” – Unknown origin (Alexander The Great?). Courage is rewarded in life. The bold move forward while the timid are left behind. Fortune favors the bold, who dare to take risks… especially calculated risks.
- “Where focus goes, energy flows” – Tony Robbins. Everything that gets our attention expands. If you focus on your goals and progress, then you’ll have more of that. If you focus on worries and fears, then that’s what you’ll have more of. Focus magnifies everything and moves you quicker to your goals.
- “The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step” – Lao Tzu. One step at a time… that is all you’ll ever need to take. No need to complicate things. This brings focus. Focus brings progress.
- “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore is not an act, but a habit” – Aristotle. This quote is related to mindset. I see people that regularly do not do their work properly. This bad habit translates all across their life. Have you noticed that people who are high achievers usually perform well in all areas of life?
- “Gratitude in advance is the most powerful creative force in the universe” – Neale Donald Walsh. This is so beautiful. Hold an image in your mind. Feel grateful for it. It will materialize.
- “Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend”. – Melody Beattie. Gratitude turns what we have to enough. And what we have to more. Ever noticed that those who aren’t grateful, but complain, often get ripped of what they already have? Yes, lack of gratitude takes away what we already have. Let’s always be grateful 😉
- “There’s no talent here, this is hard work. This is an obsession. Talent does not exist, we are all equal as human beings. You could be anyone if you put in the time. You will reach the top, and that is that. I am not talented, I am obsessed.” — Conor McGregor. Hard, smart work conquers everything. You can have anything you want in life, ladies and gentlemen… if you’re willing to pay the price for it.
- “Hard work beats talent.” – Unknown. This shouldn’t be a secret. Hard work is very potent. “Talent” is great too. Hard work beat it, every time, when talent is unused. Mixed, however… that’s a achievement at a whole new level!
- “Our goals can only be reached through a vehicle of a plan, in which we must fervently believe, and upon which we must vigorously act. There is no other route to success.” —Pablo Picasso. Believing, adamantly that you can achieve your goal is the first, crucial step. Second is planning it. No goal was ever achieved without those two things
- “Success is the progressive realization of a worthy goal or ideal.” —Earl Nightingale. Small, steady steps towards your goals is the key. Never overwhelm yourself.
- “You have to set goals that are almost out of reach. If you set a goal that is attainable without much work or thought, you are stuck with something below your true talent and potential.” —Steve Garvey
- “The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
- “By recording your dreams and goals on paper, you set in motion the process of becoming the person you most want to be. Put your future in good hands—your own.” —Mark Victor Hansen
- “Everybody has their own Mount Everest they were put on this earth to climb.” — Seth Godin
- “It’s better to be at the bottom of the ladder you want to climb than at the top of the one you don’t.” — Stephen Kellogg
- “If you don’t design your own life plan, chances are you’ll fall into someone else’s plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much.” — Jim Rohn
- “The secret of success is learning how to use pain and pleasure instead of having pain and
pleasure use you. If you do that, you’re in control of your life. If you don’t, life controls you”. – Anthony Robbins
- “Most people have no idea of the giant capacity we can immediately command when we focus
all of our resources on mastering a single area of our lives.” – Anthony Robbins
- “A goal should scare you a little, and excite you a lot!” – Joe Vitale. Goals that move our soul and fill them with excitement are the best and most fulfilling ones. When you think about achieving it you are filled with electrical excitement. Just working on it makes you feel good! That’s what you’re aiming for!
- “It always seems impossible until it’s done!” – Nelson Mandela. Never listen to people who say it can’t be done. Their limitations aren’t YOUR limitations. Always remember that!
- “You miss a 100 percent of the shots you don’t take.” — Wayne Gretsky. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. You can go home and think about what it would have been like to do this and that, or you can actually take the shot and see what happens! Life is lived in the here and NOW. Not in your imagination.
- “The virtue lies in the struggle, not in the prize.” — Richard Monckton Milnes. Oh… the person you become in the process! XD
- “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore is not an act, but a habit” – Aristotle. “How you do anything is how you do everything”. Ever noticed how people that do one thing very, very good usually do other things very well too? It’s a mindset. If you slack in one area, you will slack in other areas, and worst of all, in the areas that are important to your success!!
- “Time is what we want most but use worst” – William Penn. If more people realized how valuable their time is, they’d never waste another second. You will never know how long a moment, an opportunity or a person will stay in your life. Sometimes you don’t get a second chance. “Sometime”, is sometimes the last time you see a person you hold dear alive. Think about it!
- “A goal is a dream with a deadline” – Unknown. Dreams require targeted action. No wishy washy business.
- “A goal without a plan is just a dream” – Unknown. Again, dreams require action. Get to work or forever wonder “what if…”
- “Do or do not. There is no try” – Master Yoda. Yeah, I had to include him, lol. It’s a solid goal setting quote.
- “The goal is not to be successful, the goal is to be valuable. Instead of chasing success it will attract itself to you” – Unknown. Once you become valuable, you will be sought after, head hunted for your specific competence. Make yourself so valuable people look like idiots if they reject you.
- Life can be pulled by goals just as surely as it can be pushed by drives. — Viktor Frankl. What drives you? Are you pushing yourself (which requires will power) or are you being pulled by a vision (which pulls you into action, without the need for will power)?
- “Let others lead small lives, but not you. Let others argue over small things, but not you. Let others cry over small hurts, but not you. Let others leave their future in someone else’s hands, but not you.” — Jim Rohn. You absolutely don’t have to limit yourself to the confinements of others. Grow bigger. Shine. Let your light inspire others to achieve their greatness. Never compromise yourself and who you are to make others happy.
- “You’ll never change your life until you change something you do daily. The secret of success is found in your daily habits” – Unknown. The keys to constructing your ideal life is in your habits, very rarely isolated one time incidents. What you focus on grows. So grow your good habits, tweak them and replace your bad habits. Otherwise…
- “What you get by achieving your goal is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals” – Zig Ziglar. The constant need for refinement and becoming better to achieve your goals ennobles you, makes you better, finer, more valuable, more capable to help yourself AND others. People who take shortcuts to “success”, such as winning the lottery very seldom have the character to hold on to their recent gains.
- “However brilliant an action may be, it should not be accounted great when it is not the result of a great purpose.” — Francois de la Rochefoucauld. How beautifully put!
- “It is not enough to take steps which may some day lead to a goal; each step must be itself a goal and a step likewise.” — Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. What a great goal setting quote! Success is found in each and every step you take in the direction of your goals. One step at a time, focus on that!
- “It’s not about the goal. It’s about becoming the type of person that can accomplish that goal” – Tony Robbins. Similar as to the goal setting quote #35. Who do you have to become to reach your goal? The person you are today will not do. It’s as simple as that.
- “Live the Life of Your Dreams: Be brave enough to live the life of your dreams according to your vision and purpose instead of the expectations and opinions of others.” ― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart. Follow your heart and you won’t regret it. Don’t follow and live with the corrosiveness of regret in your heart.
- “Be stubborn about your goals, and flexible about your methods.” – Unknown. Just because one method doesn’t lead to your goal it doesn’t mean that you should cancel the goal you set. Find a new method that works!
- “Don’t let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you’re crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you’re lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you’re greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn’t understand.” — Robert G Allen. Don’t listen to people. Listen to your heart. Let it guide you!
- “You must do the thing you think you cannot do.” – Eleanor Roosevelt. Be brave! Go beyond your comfort zone. You won’t regret it. It will enrich your soul.
- “Your goal should be just out of reach, but not out of sight.“ — Denis Waitley and Remi Witt. Just out of reach, so you have to grow and become a better person in the process. Oh, that joy!
- “There are 2 different kinds of motivation: Push requires willpower, and willpower never lasts.
What will last is pull – having something so exciting, so attractive, something you desire so
much that you have a hard time going to sleep at night, you get up so early in the morning
and take it to the next level. That’s what you’re looking to get”. – Anthony Robbins. Nothing to add here, really. Tony Robbins put it very well.
- “In all things that you do, consider the end.” — Solon. If you keep the end in mind, you will be much, much more able to adjust your methods and courses of action to get to your end result. Never loose sight of your goal. Eyes on the prize.
- “All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.” — Walt Disney. Following them requires courage and bravery. Follow the whispers of your heart. Follow that dream. Turn it into a goal. Get to work and nourish your soul.
- “Begin with the end in mind.” — Stephen Covey. I can’t emphasize this enough. Keep your end goal in mind. It’s a wisdom and angle shared by many successful people. What are you actually trying to do?
- “Who aims at excellence will be above mediocrity; who aims at mediocrity will be far short of it.” — Burmese Saying. Don’t be mediocre. Be your true self. I’m gonna leave it at that.
- “An average person with average talents and ambition and average education, can outstrip the most brilliant genius in our society, if that person has clear, focused goals.” — Mary Kay Ash. How beautiful and inspiring that anyone can achieve great things! A favorite goal setting quote!
- “The only difference between a rich person and poor person is how they use their time.” — Robert Kiyosaki. In addition to quote #34. Time really is the most valuable commodity you have. What you do with it becomes the story of your life. Will you write a beautiful and inspiring story, or will you let yourself fade into the silent, lonely darkness?
- “It doesn’t matter where you are coming from. All that matters is where you are going.” — Brian Tracy. Very well said. Your story cannot be changed. Your future, starting right now, is definitely up to YOU! How empowering!
- “A goal properly set is halfway reached.” — Zig Ziglar. Proper planning prevents poor performance.
- “Rewrite your major goals every day, in the present tense, exactly as if they already existed.” — Brian Tracy. This is a very powerful goal setting quote by Brian Tracy. Ideas repeated gradually become reality through repetition. It normalizes and brings our ideal, our dream into manifestation. You get ideas on how to take action and reach your goal from your subconscious mind. Veeery Powerful!
- “Goals. There’s no telling what you can do when you get inspired by them. There’s no telling what you can do when you believe in them. There’s no telling what will happen when you act upon them.” — Jim Rohn. Set your soul on fire and color the whole world with your awesomeness! You are truly limitless!
- “It is those who concentrate on but one thing at a time who advance in this world.” — Og Mandino. Focus… Focus brings rapid change and transformation. Focus brings us to our goals. Multi-tasking and distractions slow us down significantly. They may even stop us. Learn to cut out the unnecessary shit in your life. Things that drag you down, drain you, distract you from what is truly important to you!
- “If you are willing to do only what’s easy, life will be hard. But if you are willing to do what’s hard, life will be easy.” — T Harv Eker. Never take the route of mediocrity. Dare to take the more challenging road and see who you become in the process!
- “Goals give you a compass in order to direct your path through life. Goals focus your thoughts and actions on areas that have precise purpose and meaning.” – Catherine Pulsifer. Well said! A great goal setting quote!
- “By recording your dreams and goals on paper, you set in motion the process of becoming the person you most want to be. Put your future in good hands — your own.” — Mark Victor Hansen. Studies have shown that writing down your goals on paper significantly raises the chances of achieving your goals. Don’t wait for tomorrow, use your action power today. Gain momentum. Get the ball rolling towards your dreams!
- “Men are anxious to improve their circumstances, but are unwilling to improve themselves; they therefore remain bound.” — James Allen. You can’t change your outside world until you change your inside world. Once you do, you’ll find that the people and circumstances around you change. Law of attraction.
- “Act the way you want to be and soon you’ll be the way you act.” — Les Brown. Did someone say “fake it until you make it”, hmm? There’s a reason why. It works!
- “Arriving at one goal is the starting point to another.” — John Dewey. You’ll never loose the need for purpose, for as long as you live. When one goal is achieved there will immediately be room for another, even better!
- “Failures do what is tension relieving, while winners do what is goal achieving.” — Dennis Waitley. Don’t let the short term gratifications of life make you miss the long-term and more fulfilling opportunities and dreams. Choose wisely.
- “As long as I have a want, I have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death.“ — George Bernard Shaw. We humans have a great need for purpose. Something to strive for. Something to aim for. Something that will set our soul on fire and make life meaningful… what excites you? What is meaningful to you? What do you dream of? Why haven’t you taken action yet? 😛
- “Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal.” — Henry Ford. Don’t be afraid. Focus on your goal and what it means to you. Energy flows where attention goes. The obstacles will dissolve when you move towards the goal you set.
- “Ah, but a man’s reach should exceed his grasp, or what’s a heaven for?” — Robert Browning. …So that we can become better in the process. Ennobled. Enhanced. Elegant.
- “The significance of a man is not in what he attains but in what he longs to attain.” — Kahlil Gibran. That’s what stirs the soul and ignites a fire within! Cultivate that fire and light the whole world with it!
- “I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he had imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.” — Henry David Thoreau. Fortune favors the bold. The more action you take, the luckier you get. The less action you take, the more fear- and regretful you will become. Always be on the move towards your goals. These quotes are not just for inspiration, but also to take action and actually GET what you want!
- “It’s never too late to be who you might have been.” — George Elliot. It’s never too late. As long as you have breathe in your lungs your soul can be ignited.
- “The entrepreneur is essentially a visualizer and actualizer… He can visualize something, and when he visualizes it he sees exactly how to make it happen.” — Robert L. Schwartz. I simply had to include this on this goal setting quotes page. The entrepreneur is a doer, an action take, an innovator. Someone who breaks new ground and goes into unventured territory.
- “Stay focused, go after your dreams and keep moving toward your goals.” — LL Cool J. Well said, homie!
- “This one step – choosing a goal and sticking to it – changes everything.” — Scott Reed. Oh, it does! It can be a monumental change in the direction of your life, for the better. Steer your life towards your happiness and fulfillment.
- “People with goals succeed because they know where they’re going.” — Earl Nightingale. You’ll never get anywhere meaningful if you don’t set yourself to going there. Take each and every step with intent. Intent + Action is a good formula for a meaningful living.
- “I find it fascinating that most people plan their vacation with better care than they do their lives. Perhaps that is because escape is easier than change.” — Jim Rohn. People tend to be afraid of success and what’s truly important to them…because they’re afraid of failing? Perhaps they don’t realize that failure is a PART of success. The most successful people are the ones who have failed the MOST!
- “You must have long term goals to keep you from being frustrated by short term failures.” — Charles C. Noble. Eyes on the prize, champ! Eyes on the prize!
- “Believe!” – Unknown. Belief creates your world. It has created your past, it creates what you’re doing at the moment and it shapes your future. Expand your beliefs. Belief creates reality. Believe that you CAN do GREAT things! That’s what this goal setting quotes page is for. That’s what this whole web site is dedicated to – making you do GREAT things! To surpass yourself!
- “There is one quality which one must possess to win, and that is definiteness of purpose, the knowledge of what one wants, and a burning desire to possess it.” — Napoleon Hill. This is an amazing goal setting quote, by the famous Napoleon Hill who wrote the legendary book “Think and Grow Rich”. “Definite of Purpose”… those are some charged words. Powerful words… first you DECIDE that you are gonna achieve your goal, THEN you find out HOW. NOT the other way around. That is for losers, but you wanna be a winner, don’t you? A general first wins the war (by preparation and strategizing), THEN he goes to war!
- “The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight but no vision.” ― Helen Keller. Well said, woman! I’m just gonna let those words sink in, lol. Stinging words perhaps, but she’s right on the money.
- “To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.” — Anatole France. It all comes from a vision, a whisper from your soul. Dare to dream. Dare to believe. Don’t let failure scare you, let it ADD to your success!
- “The resistance that you fight physically in the gym and the resistance that you fight in life can only build a strong character.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger. Achieving goals is very rarely a straight line to success. The road turns, becomes narrow, has obstacles, dangers, opportunities… nobody said it was gonna be easy. They only said it’d be worth it!
- “All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.” — E. Lawrence. Yes, sir! Cheers to the doers! Become one of them! DO something remarkable with your life. Something you’ll greatly enjoy looking back at, rather than regretting not doing it!
- “I respect the man who knows distinctly what he wishes. The greater part of all mischief in the world arises from the fact that men do not sufficiently understand their own aims. They have undertaken to build a tower, and spend no more labor on the foundation than would be necessary to erect a hut.” — John Wolfgang von Goethe. What a beautiful goal setting quote! Great endeavors require great work. You can’t become a king if you are lazy, but it will be damn worth it!
- “Cherish your visions and your dreams as they are the children of your soul, the blueprints of your ultimate achievements.” — Napoleon Hill. Never let anyone put out the fire in your soul. You must guard it, for it is the source of your meaning and happiness in life.
- “When a great man has some one object in view to be achieved in a given time, it may be absolutely necessary for him to walk out of all the common roads.” — Edmund Burke. Only dead fish follow the stream. Go on! Be brave! Venture into new territory. Leave your foot mark. Leave a legacy for people!
- “When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don’t adjust the goals, adjust the action steps.” — Confucius. There’s a reason why Confucius wisdom echoes 2,500 years after his death.
- “Remember that guy who gave up? Neither does anybody else” – Unknown. I can’t remember… what was his name? What’s his butt? Yeah, nobody remembers… leave a legacy so people will remember you!
- “Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools.” – Napoleon Bonaparte. Yes! Just because you don’t know how it’s done it doesn’t mean it’s impossible.
- “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” — S. Eliot. Cheers to the brave ones! The ones who dare doing things the common man doesn’t!
- “Look to the future, because that is where you’ll spend the rest of your life.” — George Burns. Your future depends on what you do today. Forget the past, you can’t change it (but, you can definitely learn from it). What you feed into your life and focus on today determines what your future will be like.
- “God gives us dreams a size too big so that we can grow in them.” — Author Unknown. Oh, the joy of growing and improving! The joy of success!
- “The greatest dreams are always unrealistic.” — Will Smith. Beautifully put! Dare to believe. A great goal setting quote!
- “The best way to predict the future is to invent it.” — Unknown. Be in control of your life and where you are headed. Don’t waste it by staying home and “hoping” something great will happen. Jump into the arena of life!
- “If you want to truly reach big objectives in your life, you have to work for it. And that all starts with setting a goal.” — Unknown. One small goal, then another, and another and another… look back to see how far you’ve come!
- “Fear melts when you take action towards a goal you really want.” – Robert Allen. It turns into excitement! Excitement that makes you move into action and manifesting your goal into reality. One of my favorite goal setting quotes!
- “The game has its ups and downs, but you can never lose focus of your individual goals and you can’t let yourself be beat because of lack of effort.” — Michael Jordan. The greatest basketball player of all time. He also failed a lot… which is why he succeeded! If you wanna be great, look at how great people think and what they do. What their mindsets are. Copy that, because that lead to their success!!
- “You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done!” ― Sylvester Stallone, Rocky Balboa. Life can be extremely tough sometimes. Don’t give up. You get knocked down, get up. You sway a little, get back on track. You get punched in the face by life? Take that punch and throw one back even stronger. Never surrender. Never let your spirit be broken.
- “You can never plan the future by the past.” — Edmund Burke. The past is the past. It doesn’t determine the future. You do! If you wanna let the past echo into the present and your future, then that’s on you. Your spirit would be better off without carrying that extra baggage though. Go confidently towards your goals. You can do it.
- “The last three or four reps is what makes the muscle grow. This area of pain divides the champion from someone else who is not a champion. That’s what most people lack, having the guts to go on and just say they’ll go through the pain no matter what happens.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger. Someone said go the extra mile, it’s never crowded. Mohammed Ali said he doesn’t count his reps until he has pushed as far as he can. That’s when he started to count!
- “Setting goals is the first step in turning the invisible into the visible.” — Tony Robbins. Dreams that don’t become plans never face reality. The dream just stays a wish and filed under the category of “what if?” …
- “Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.” — Jim Rohn. There will be days when you don’t feel like it. When you don’t wanna do anything than to just give up and feel sorry for yourself. Sure, you could do that. Sometimes, like 1 in 1000 you may need to do that. For the rest of the time, you don’t get to slack. You don’t get to be lazy. There is serious competition out there. While you are slacking someone out there is working hard. Someone is getting smarter. Someone is advancing. Perhaps over you. Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret.
- “You become the people you surround yourself with” – Unknown. This goal setting quote is so right on the money. The people we surround ourselves with will either lift us up or they will drag us down and keep us in the mind, because keeping you down makes them feel better about themselves, and it is easier to do that than to work on themselves and put in the effort by themselves.
- “Do or do not. There is no try” – Master Yoda. Yes, it’s corny and over used. Still very much valid.
What to do next?
1. Share this article!
2. Download my Free E-Book “13 Secret Mindhacks to Powerfully Transform Your Life”!
3. What technique are you most excited to use? How have you benefitted from this article? Tell us in the comments section below!